All aquatic systems of a lentic nature are susceptible to suffering eutrophication processes. Therefore, thanks to an agreement with the Australian firm, Phoslock Water Solutions, Phoslock® is presented as an innovative technological solution for the improvement of ecological quality and organoleptic properties of water masses affected by a huge increase in phytoplankton biomass.
The operation of Phoslock® is based on capturing the phosphates available in the water, thanks to high affinity to
lanthanum phosphate molecules attached to the bentonite. After direct application in the water and before Phoslock® is deposited on the sediment, up to 95% of the Reactive Soluble Phosphate (RSP) present in the water column is absorbed and quickly eliminated by forming a complex insoluble with the clay. Once deposited over the sediment water interface, a thin, 1 – 3mm film is formed, with the ability to absorb the sediment’s RSP by means of its free bonds.
Some of the applications that this product offers are:
- Improved conditions and organoleptic parameters of potability in drinking water through the reduction of phytoplankton biomass.
- Eliminates the toxicity caused by massive growth of cyanobacteria in bathing water.
- Improvement of the ecological status of those water masses in which phosphorus pollution is the problem.
- Provides a solution to the problems of fish mortality in farms with episodes of cyanobacteria toxicity.
- Reduces phytoplankton biomass and increases transparency in ornamental lakes in parks gardens, golf courses… etc.